- PhD student in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2018), Georgia Tech
- MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2013), Georgia Tech
- BS in Electrical Engineering (2010), GIKI, Pakistan
- Silicon Photonics
- Low loss optical interconnects
- Mechanically Flexible Interconnects
Y. Zhang, T. E. Sarvey, Y. Zhang, M. Zia and M. S. Bakir, "Numerical and experimental exploration of thermal isolation in 3D systems using air gap and mechanically flexible interconnects," in IEEE International Interconnect Technology Conf. / Advanced Metallization Conf. (IITC/AMC), San Jose, CA, May. 2016.
M. Zia, T. Chi, J. Park, A. Su, J. L. Gonzalez, P. K. Jo, M. P. Styczynski, H. Wang, and M. S. Bakir, "A 3D integrated electronic microplate platform for lowcost repeatable biosensing applications," IEEE Transaction on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1827-1833, Dec. 2016.
. M. Zia, C. Zhang, P. Thadesar, T. Hookway, T. Chi, J. Gonzalez, T. McDevitt, H. Wang, and M. S. Bakir, "Fabrication of and cell growth on silicon membranes with high density TSVs for bio-sensing applications," in Proc. IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference (BioCAS), Atlanta, GA, Oct. 2015.